Six Things to Let Go of this Autumn
“Autumn shows us how beautiful it is to let things go.” — Unknown
Autumn (or the fall season) is a time of many things – falling leaves, pumpkins, flannel, harvests, homecomings, and so many other “fall” things. Every living thing on Earth has its own natural rhythm & cycle. The leaves change colors and fall from the trees to prepare for the winter and then prepare to bloom again in the spring. We enjoy seeing the leaves turn, we may even think it’s beautiful. Every year, we look forward to those leaves just dropping off the trees and then crunching them beneath our feet. As people, we often forget that our own lives go in cycles – like these trees losing their leaves. That said, we don’t often see the “falling of the leaves” and the changes of our life’s seasons as beautiful. We may even see these changes as painful.
As the temperatures drop, we’re given time to reflect on what is no longer serving us and what we actually want to have in our lives. Instead of looking at letting go as a loss, consider the fall an opportunity to make room for new and better things to enter your life.
Here are six things to let go of this fall:
Saying Yes When You Want to Say No
- This causes so much unnecessary guilt and anxiety for no reason. We’ve all said yes to obligations that don’t really interest us because we don’t want to say no. STOP THAT TODAY. If there is something you really don’t want to do, participate in, or show up for, it’s ok to say no.
Cut the Clutter
- This goes for more than just material possessions. Take a look at the rest of the clutter that is in your life. What mental clutter can you let go of? Perhaps it’s people that you need to stop associating with, doing a major purge of your physical possessions, or to just stop worrying about the past, clearing mental clutter will spill over into other parts of your life. Social media can definitely clutter up our newsfeed and inboxes. Take time to unsubscribe or unfollow any accounts or brands that don’t add value to your day.
The Need to Fit In
- No one’s journey is ever the same. Everyone gets to their destination at different speeds. The movie Practical Magic has one of my favorite quotes that sums up this point perfectly: “My darling girl, when are you going to realize that being normal is not necessarily a virtue? It rather denotes a lack of courage!” Be bold. Be brave. Do “you” as loud and proud as you can.
- Your time is far too valuable to be wasted on negative people and energy in your life. Letting go of negative people may be as simple as blocking them on social media or as big as ending a long-term relationship. Being able to release negative and toxic energy from your life will allow you to bring more positive people and energy into your life, no matter how difficult ending those relationships may be. You deserve to have people who lift you up, challenge you, and add joy to your life. Don’t be afraid to be super picky about who you allow in.
- Everyone gets stuck in the comparison trap at one point or another, but it doesn’t serve us in life. It’s human nature to compare ourselves on our worst days to someone on their best day. Step back and focus on yourself. Admire the good work of others, but don’t forget the good work that you’ve done as well.
- Nothing is perfect. I’ll say it again, nothing is perfect. No situation, no project, no person is ever perfect. Stop using perfect as a descriptor for people, jobs, and other things. Strive for excellence by doing your best instead of always being perfect. Show yourself some love & compassion, but understand that there is no way we can always be 100%. It just won’t happen. Let that go.
As the days get shorter, reflect on what brings joy to your life. Find ways to let go of the things that no longer serve you – whatever they might be.
What are you going to let go of this autumn?