Writing a Book: A Difficult Path to Success
I don’t remember when I started writing my “novel”. I just remember that its been too long and I haven’t been able to finish. Why is that? The thing is that I am a perfectionist. Every single time I started to write again I had to change things. Also, the age influences a lot in the way my writing evolves. Right now, I only have three chapters written and I don’t even know if I am going to finish it. Another problem was that I wrote it in Spanish at first, so I am translating it. Here is a small list of things that recommend you to do:
- Never stop trying: Everyone knows that it is difficult to find the time and motivation to write a whole novel. Even if you think that what you have is terrible just keep writing. Then, you will have time to polish whatever you have done.
- You NEED different opinions: I know that showing your writing to someone else can be soul bearing, but it is necessary. Imagine that you are stuck with an idea and you don’t know how to continue… You got it? Okay, you can ask someone to help you figure it out. It is better if you have a really honest friend that will criticize your story. The important thing is to not let the critics stop you.
- Create the story in your head: If you know how you want to begin and end the story you are almost set. The most difficult thing about writing is coming up with a story and connecting the dots.
- Write all the names you use: if you are using multiple characters throughout the story, you should keep track of the names. If you don’t do that is very possible that you will forget the names and\or characters. Believe me, it still happens to me.
- Don’t be afraid: I think this is the most important one. Most of the time, fear makes us avoid certain uncomfortable situations and that narrows our probabilities of doing what we want. It is okay to be afraid of rejection, but if you don’t try you will never know.
The most important thing is to be true to yourself and everything else will fall in place. Of course, it is difficult and tedious, and not everyone is successful but if that is what you want to do then do it. I learned the hard way: Do not let fear be the excuse of not achieving your dreams.